Is the Church wrong on contraception?
In a world that practically worships the pursuit of sexual pleasure, the Catholic Church’s teaching on contraception can seem unintelligible. Critics say it is outdated, harmful, and theologically unfounded and even faithful Catholics can have difficulty explaining this moral teaching.
That’s why Catholic Answers Studios is releasing Trent Horn’s new DVD, The Case Against Contraception. In this dynamic presentation, Trent reveals:
- The logical case against contraception rooted in natural law principles that can be known from reason alone
- The uniform condemnation of contraception in scripture and Church history
- The real story behind the infamous pontifical “birth control commission” that recommended Pope Paul VI change the Church’s teaching on contraception
- Answers to common objections against the Church’s teaching and evidence that contraception has had a negative impact on women and society
- How families can space the births of their children without relying on intrinsic evils like contraception or abortion
Using natural law, Scripture, papal and magisterial teaching, and new insights provided by social science and medicine, Trent puts forward a compelling case with charity and persuasive graciousness.
As we pass the fiftieth anniversary of Humanae Vitae and critics continue to attack its reaffirmation of the Church’s teaching on contraception, this presentation will give you the tools to explain why the Church is unabashedly always on “the side of life.”
PLUS, When you purchase the DVD, we'll send you the new book, Inseparable, FREE!
As the Church and the world remember the fiftieth anniversary of Humanae Vitae this summer, Catholic Answers Press has published an important new multi-contributor exposition of that prophetic encyclical - Inseparable: Five Perspectives on Sex, Life, and Love in Defense of Humanae Vitae.
Expecting this anniversary to spark an escalation of attacks on Catholic birth-control teaching from outside the Church and a fresh wave of vocal dissent within it, and noting the current climate of confusion afflicting the faithful on marital and sexual matters, we thought it critical to provide a vigorous affirmation of Paul VI’s prophetic wisdom.
Given the richness of Catholic teaching on the transmission of human life and the different ways—due to their temperaments, habits of mind, and life circumstances—that people respond to it, we asked our contributors to reflect on and defend that teaching from five perspectives: each of them compelling, all of them together forming a mosaic of truth.
- Biblical foundations of conjugal love
- Nature Law and human telos
- Personalism and the “language of the body”
- Historical lessons from contraceptive culture
- The witness of lived experience
Contributors include some of the most knowledgeable and incisive writers on these subjects today:
- Joseph Atkinson: associate professor of Sacred Scripture, John Paul II Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Paul Gondreau: professor of theology, Providence College
- Mark Latkovic: professor of moral and systematic theology, Sacred Heart Major Seminary
- Allan Carlson: distinguished visiting professor of history and politics, Hillsdale College; author, Godly Seed: American Evangelicals Confront Birth Control
- Shaun and Jessica McAfee: Shaun is the founder of Epic Pew and author of Reform Yourself! Together they contributed to Surprised by Life.
All share a joyful conviction in the truth of Humanae Vitae and a desire to promote and defend it.