The Fathers Know Best: Your Essential Guide to the Teachings of the Early Church
What Did Early Christians Really Believe?
The Answer Will Surprise and Amaze You!
The Fathers Know Best: Your Essential Guide to the Teachings of the Early Church is a unique resource that introduces you to the teachings of the first Christians in a way no other work can. It is specially designed to make it easy for you to find the information you want and need.
Amazing features in this fact-packed book include:
- More than 900 quotations from the writings of the early Church Fathers, as well as from rare and important documents dating back to the dawn of Christian history.
- Mini-biographies of nearly 100 Fathers, as well as descriptions of dozens of key early councils and writings.
- A concise history of the dramatic spread of Christianity after Jesus told his disciples to evangelize all nations.
- Special maps showing you where the Fathers lived, including many little-known and long-vanished locations.
- A guide to nearly 30 ancient heresies, many of which have returned to haunt the modern world.
- The Fathers’ teaching on nearly 50 topics, including modern hot-button issues like abortion, homosexuality, and divorce.
This groundbreaking work presents the teachings of the early Christians in a way unlike any other book. It flings open the doors of the crucial but little-known age covering the birth of Christianity and the triumphant march of the gospel throughout the ancient world.
Also available as an eBook
“We are particularly blessed by this release of Jimmy Akin’s superbly compiled synopsis of the writings of the early Church Fathers. There are other works, but Akin’s finely selected and categorized collection provides a far more accessible introduction to the early Christians” —Marcus Grodi, President of The Coming Home Network and host of EWTN’s The Journey Home
Softcover, 452 pages
I am still reading the book. What I have read so far has been very interesting. I have always wanted to learn more about what the fathers of the early Church taught. It is greatly increasing my knowledge of our Church.
What a wonderful book to have. It’s so knowledgeable on the subjects that Protestants reject. This book has explained throughly on where in the Holy Bible we are taught about our faith as it was passed down from the disciples of Jesus to our of our Church.
“The Fathers Know Best” is a great reference book. The way that small excerpts are arranged by topic makes it feel a lot like proof texting And does not make it a terribly reader friendly book. As I said though, it is a great reference book.
That is classical reading for us laypeople ! Well done Jimmy!
If the early church fathers can’t convince anyone of the truth of the early church practices, I don’t know what could! if you don’t want to become catholic, don’t read this book! It’s packed full of quotes, explanations of councils, and so much more. It will be in my collection forever, unless I loan it out to everyone because it’s so informative.